KENWOOD TS-870: The best sounding, smooth – truly audiophile transceiver made. Fantastic DSP filters – ALL receive filters can be created “on the fly” with front panel controls (see above). “Brick wall” DSP filtering.
- Typical Kenwood – silky smooth VFO knob tuning (MENU choice of 5 or 10 Khz. per revolution). 1 Khz. per revolution by pushing the “FINE” button. Big control knobs and only one layer of menus
- Utilizes two 24-bit 20 MIPS DSP chips – IF DSP Choice of continuously variable or automatic AGC release time.
- Rig never gets warm. Separate – front panel – fast tune dial (menu choice of 1, 5 or 10 KHz. steps). Accurately reads out and tunes in 10 Hz. steps – by pushing the “FINE” button tunes in 1 Hz. steps (1 Khz. per VFO dial revolution). The VFO dial only reads to 10 Hz. BUT 1 Hz. steps can be read on external computer control programs (like Ham Radio Deluxe).
- Antenna tuner is quiet and fast
- DB-9 connector on back panel for easy computer control
- Works very well with HRD (Ham Radio Deluxe) software – fast communication with P.C. at a baud rate of 57,600Very quiet receive – fatigue free listening. Unbeatable VOX – to avoid ANY lost first syllable. Transmit audio (when VOX is enabled) is actually digitally delayed (very short time) before it is transmitted (this can be witnessed by using headphones & turning on the monitor function).
- Segment LED meter is curved – resembles action of an analog meter with added benefits. Hard to believe – this rig was designed over 25 years ago.