Qualifying for Amateur Radio License in Spain


The amateur authorization and licenses are issued by a governmental agency known as the “Secretaría de Estado de Telecomunicaciones y para la Sociedad de la Información” (SETSI). There is a SETSI office in each of the 52 Spanish Provinces, named “Jefatura Provincial de Inspección de Telecomunicaciones” (JPIT).  The addresses of these JPIT can be found here.

Amateur Authorization:  Any resident foreign wishing to obtain an amateur license must prove their knowledge regarding radio matters and radio regulations. Examinations are carried out in the respective JPIT.

After passing the exam, the HAREC Certificate is issued. Then, you may apply for the amateur authorization, which includes the call sign. Download application

If you have a foreign amateur license and your country has implemented the HAREC Certificate (CEPT Recommendation T/R 62-02), you must first obtain this certificate from your Government and then apply for an EA call sign at the JPIT of the province where you are living or you are moving to (see list below).

If your country is not a HAREC one but it has signed a reciprocity agreement with Spain, you can also apply for an EA call sign without doing exam. These countries ares: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Colombia, Costa Rica, United States of America and Venezuela.

The authorization fee is only paid the first time (see below).

Station License

For operating your own fixed station you must apply for a station license. A report about antennas and equipment to be installed in your home in Spain must be enclosed with this application. Download application

All papers must be delivered to the respective JPIT. Antenna installations must generally be carried out by an approved telecommunication installing firm (Download), unless the JPIT considers it can be done by the amateur due to the simplicity of the antenna system.

It is mandatory to contract third party liability insurance for the antenna system, previous to installing it.

The amateur authorization and the station licence can be requested at the same time.

If you have only a mobile and/or a hand held station, it is not necessary to apply for a station licence. You can use them with your amateur authorization.

Requirements for the CEPT Radio Amateur License

“The Recommendation as approved in 1985 makes it possible for radio amateurs from CEPT countries to operate during short visits in other CEPT countries without obtaining an individual temporary license from the visited CEPT country.  Good experience with this system is gained.  The Recommendation as revised in 1992 has the aim to make it possible for non-CEPT countries to participate in this licensing system.  The appropriate provisions for this are found mainly in the new ANNEX 3: and ANNEX 4: The original Recommendation had to be adapted slightly, but it retains the same applicability within CEPT as before.  The Recommendation as revised in 2003 reflects the outcome of WRC-03 concerning Article 25 of the ITU  Radio Regulations. The mandatory Morse code requirement has been removed and the number of amateur  classes has been reduced from two to one.”  For detailed information see  ECC Recommendation 61-01

In addition to the above, the Electronic Communications Committee (ECC) have issued ECC Recommendation (05)06 on the CEPT Novice Radio Amateur Licenses. 

Scroll Up
error: Content is protected !!